Balancing Work and School



Hello guys!  I feel like I haven't been writing a lot of beauty posts, and I am sorry to anyone who likes those posts more than my lifestyle posts. I promise that I'll get some fun tutorials up soon! Yeah, I was just thinking about that the other day, and I was thinking about what I've been posting lately. It's been some fun stuff for me to write, but seeing as though I kind of started off strong with the beauty information, I think I should include more of those in the near future! I think my next post will be a February favorites, but then after that post, I'll put up a tutorial of a look that I have actually been playing with this week. So stay tuned for that!

 Onto the post of the day! I have actually wanted to do this post for about two weeks now. I have it in my blog journal, and it's the top one at the moment to do. But I don't know why, I just kept pushing it off. I would think of something else to do, or I felt like doing another post. But I have finally gotten around to doing this post! It's something that is very important in my life, and I hope that you guys can find it relatable to yours.

 For almost the past two years, I have kept a job. I started working the summer before my senior year of high school. For me, I wanted to work because I wanted a lot of things, and my parents always taught me that if you want things, you have to work for them. So I got a job at a store called Marshall's. At first I was only a cashier, but since then, I have been promoted.

 Now I loved going to work. I loved the people I worked with, I liked what I was doing (most days)., and I loved the relationship I had with my bosses. They would call me if they needed someone to cover a shift, they were flexible with my school schedule, and they were overall nice people.

 As much as I loved my job, come school time, I found myself in a pickle: To continue working and work harder in school than I am used to, or quit working and dedicate myself to only school. I chose the first one. It wasn't like I chose it because I felt like I didn't care how I did in school, because I did care. But it was because I knew that if I didn't work, it wouldn't change how I did in school. I would use my new found free time to do nothing. There wouldn't have been that great of a difference, so I stuck with my job.

 Don't get me wrong, it was a challenge sometimes to work and go to school: like anytime a big break was coming, which usually meant lots of tests, but it also meant a lot more people calling out. Which meant more time for me working. But the biggest lesson I learned was that you can't be the always girl. What I mean by that is that you can't be the person who always picks up a shift. You have to realize that some things are more important than work, and you need to prioritize school over work. I still have to do this, and I'm in college now.



 One thing working while going to school has made me better at is planning. I used to never carry a planner, and now I feel like my life is over if I misplace mine. I seriously depend on it. I write what days I am working, how long I'm working, tests or assignments that are due, when important lecture days are, and when to blog (yes, I need my planner for that). Planning out my weeks has become a major part of my life, and it helps to keep me from feeling like I am drowning in work and assignments. On days I have off, I tend to do more homework than on days I am working. If I need help in a subject, I have to plan around my shift, or go when I am off, whichever makes the most sense according to what I need help in. Keeping a schedule of the day helps mentally prepare you for whatever the needs of the day are.

 I hope this helps anyone in the same situation! I feel like this post was short, but I am working hard to not babble in every post I write. I love babbling, but even I will admit it's sometimes pointless. Anyways!

 I hope you have enjoyed this post! I would like to know, if you work, how you balance life and work. Did I miss a tip that you feel like is important? Just let me know by commenting down below!

I'll see you guys Thursday with a February Favorites post!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top